Maharashtra cop assault: MLAs sent to 14-day judicial custody
Mumbai: Two Maharashtra legislators who allegedly assaulted traffic police officer Sachin Suryawanshi were on Friday sent to judicial custody for 14 days.
The two MLAs had surrendered yesterday and were later sent to a day in police custody.
Kshitij Thakur and Ram Kadam were arrested after they surrendered before the Crime Branch on Thursday morning.
The Crime Branch told the court that custody of the two legislators was necessary to identify other 15 people who also assaulted Suryawanshi.
The prosecution had earlier told the court that Sections 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) and 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty) of Indian Penal Code, invoked in this case, were non-bailable, and this was a very serious offence and the investigation was in progress.
On March 19, an FIR was registered at Marine Drive police station against Thakur (Independent), Kadam (MNS) and 14 others for allegedly beating up the 31-year-old police sub inspector, attached to Worli Traffic Police, inside Vidhan Bhawan premises. Later, Crime Branch took over the probe.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister