Maharashtra council by-poll schedule announced
Mumbai: Following the Bombay High Court`s go-ahead, the Election Commission (EC) pn Thursday announced the schedule for the by-election for a vacant seat in the Maharashtra legislative council, which Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan is to contest.
The EC said that notification for the by-election would be issued April 18.
The last date for filing nominations is April 25, and the scrutiny will be conducted April 26.
The last date for withdrawal of candidature is April 28. Polling, if necessary, will take place May 5 - and counting of votes will be conducted the same day.
The entire process will be completed by May 7.
The Chief Minister will be contesting the election to enter the state legislature, as per constitutional requirements.
The seat fell vacant after council member Sanjay Dutt of the Congress resigned to facilitate Chavan`s election March 11 this year. Dutt`s term was to end July 7, 2016.
The Bombay High Court gave a ruling Wednesday permitting the EC to go ahead with the poll process.
Justice RP Sundarbaldota`s ruling came in response to the EC`s application of April 11 to allow it to conduct the by-election.
Former Shiv Sena member of legislative council Anil Parab in January challenged the June 2010 council elections in which four Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) legislators were allowed to cast their vote though they were suspended from the house for unruly behaviour.
Prithviraj Chavan took over as the Chief Minister Nov 11, 2010, replacing Ashok Chavan who resigned over the Adarsh Society scam.
Chavan must get elected to either house of the state legislature to continue as the Chief Minister after May 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation