Maharashtra council by-poll schedule announced
Mumbai: Following the Bombay High Court`s go-ahead, the Election Commission (EC) pn Thursday announced the schedule for the by-election for a vacant seat in the Maharashtra legislative council, which Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan is to contest.
The EC said that notification for the by-election would be issued April 18.
The last date for filing nominations is April 25, and the scrutiny will be conducted April 26.
The last date for withdrawal of candidature is April 28. Polling, if necessary, will take place May 5 - and counting of votes will be conducted the same day.
The entire process will be completed by May 7.
The Chief Minister will be contesting the election to enter the state legislature, as per constitutional requirements.
The seat fell vacant after council member Sanjay Dutt of the Congress resigned to facilitate Chavan`s election March 11 this year. Dutt`s term was to end July 7, 2016.
The Bombay High Court gave a ruling Wednesday permitting the EC to go ahead with the poll process.
Justice RP Sundarbaldota`s ruling came in response to the EC`s application of April 11 to allow it to conduct the by-election.
Former Shiv Sena member of legislative council Anil Parab in January challenged the June 2010 council elections in which four Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) legislators were allowed to cast their vote though they were suspended from the house for unruly behaviour.
Prithviraj Chavan took over as the Chief Minister Nov 11, 2010, replacing Ashok Chavan who resigned over the Adarsh Society scam.
Chavan must get elected to either house of the state legislature to continue as the Chief Minister after May 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali