Maharashtra crisis: Chavan accepts Ajit Pawar’s resignation
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday accepted the resignation of Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, bringing the curtains down on the political crisis in the state.
Chavan then forwarded the resignation to state Governor K Sankarnarayanan, who has also accepted the same.
Chavan met the Governor this morning and handed over Pawar`s resignation.
After accepting the resignation of Ajit Pawar, who was
holding the charge of Finance, Planning and Energy, the governor agreed to the request of Chavan to allocate the portfolio of Finance and Planning (additional charge) to Jayant Patil, the minister for Rural Development.
The additional charge of the Department of Energy was given to Rajesh Tope, the minister for Higher and Technical Education.
The decision was taken after Chavan called on the governor. The meeting between the two lasted for an hour, the spokesperson said.
The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) had decided to accept the resignation of strongman Ajit Pawar on Friday evening. NCP chief and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, while announcing his verdict, rejected the offer of resignation by 19 other ministers from the Maharashtra government.
Ajit Pawar, 53, abruptly quit the cabinet on Tuesday evening amid allegations of having arbitrarily doled out irrigation contracts worth over Rs 20,000 crore as the water resources minister (1999-2009).
All 19 NCP ministers in the cabinet also followed suit and offered their resignation to state party chief Madhukarrao Pichhad, sparking off a political crisis.
Sharad Pawar`s announcement brought relief to its ally the Congress, which had virtually retreated into a shell the past three days.
On Friday evening, a smiling state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre said there would not be any adverse impact of Ajit Pawar`s resignation on the 13-year-old Congress-NCP alliance in Maharashtra.
"He (Ajit Pawar) had made it clear while resigning that he would keep away from all posts till he is cleared of all charges against him," Thakre told the media after Sharad Pawar`s announcement.
Even the dozen independent legislators who had threatened to withdraw support to the government if Ajit Pawar quit softened their stand.
"He (Ajit Pawar) will continue to be the NCP legislature party leader, so we are with him," said one such legislator, Dilip Sopal.
Earlier, at a meeting of party legislators attended by the uncle-nephew duo, Ajit Pawar justified his decision saying he did not want to create any hindrances in any probe pertaining to the irrigation department.
"I have always worked for the best interests of the party and have always carried out the tasks demanded by the legislators," Ajit Pawar said, amidst a thunderous roar of `ayes` by the gathering.
In his typical style, Sharad Pawar neatly sidestepped all rumours of a rift in the Pawar family involving himself, daughter Supriya Sule, MP, and nephew Ajit.
"All the decisions were taken unanimously, so your speculation of `Pawar versus Pawar` are dashed," he said with a grin.
However, he urged the Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to bring out a `white paper` on the state irrigation scenario.
"We fully support this initiative and want that it should be brought out as early as possible," Sharad Pawar said.
A days after the crisis was triggered by Ajit Pawar`s resignation, amid a show of strength by his supporters, the NCP urged him to withdraw his resignation and authorised Sharad Pawar to take a final call.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly