Maharashtra Day: Raj, Athawale offer tributes
Mumbai: MNS chief Raj Thackeray and RPI leader Ramdas Athawale, a key player in the Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI`s mega alliance, offered tributes at the `Hutatma Chowk` (Martyrs Square) in South Mumbai on the occasion of the 52nd `Maharashtra Day`.
The two leaders found themselves arriving at the venue almost at the same time on Tuesday.
Republican Party of India leader Athawale reached first, followed by Thackerey, who arrived five minutes later with wife Sharmila.
After paying floral tributes at the memorial of the Samyukta Maharashtra movement, both the leaders shook hands and shared pleasantries.
Athawale, whose party secured just one seat in the 227-member BMC, had expressed disappointment over the non-cooperation to his party by the Shiv Sainiks.
His hopes of getting the backing of the Sena for Rajya Sabha membership also received a setback after Sena fielded loyalist Anil Desai to the Upper House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas