Maharashtra draws blank in reshuffle
Mumbai: The Maharashtra unit of the Congress, with 24 members in parliament, has drawn complete blank in reshuffle of the council of ministers effected by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday.
State MPs had been hopeful that some of them would be chosen to join the central ministries. The state Congress has 17 MPs in the Lok Sabha and seven in the Rajya Sabha.
State Congress president Manikrao Thakre put up a brave face in the face of the latest developments even as he sought to downplay the lack of a stronger representation to Maharashtra in the central government.
"These things keep happening given political and other ground realities at the national level. At times, Maharashtra may get more or less, but that does not mean the centre`s attention towards this state is any less," Thakre told IANS.
In view of certain recent political developments, he said, states like West Bengal or Karnataka may have got more visible representation.
"However, Maharashtra already has other members in the cabinet with important portfolios. So it should not be construed as ignoring this state," Thakre assured.
In the past couple of days, there was strong speculation of Mumbai getting at least one cabinet rank minister and another two ministers of state or as ministers with independent charge.
Among the contenders from Mumbai were former minister of state for home at the centre and six-time MP Gurudas Kamat as a probable replacement to the late Vilasrao Deshmukh, who passed away in August. The other hopefuls were three-time MP Sanjay Nirupam, Priya Dutt and Eknath Gaikwad.
Before the previous reshuffle in July 2011, Maharashtra Congress had four cabinet rank ministers and two junior ministers from Mumbai.
After the last reshuffle, Kamat had declined to join the ministry and announced that he had quit active politics.
This left only city MP Milind Deora to continue holding the Mumbai flag in the central government, but continuing as a junior minister even after today`s reshuffle.
Besides Deora, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar and his colleague Praful Patel represent the state in the central cabinet.
Two other central ministers -- Rajeev Shukla and Tariq Anwar from the Congress and NCP respectively -- are Rajya Sabha members from Maharashtra.
Of the total 48 Lok Sabha MPs from Maharashtra, 17 belong to Congress, eight to NCP, nine from BJP, 11 from Shiv Sena and three independents. In the Rajya Sabha, Congress has seven members, NCP six, BJP and Shiv Sena three each, totalling 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'