Maharashtra for treating sex selective abortions as murder
New Delhi: The Maharashtra government has sent a proposal to the Centre to treat sex selective abortions as murder and make the act a punishable offence.
"A proposal has been received from Maharashtra government on August 14 to treat the act of sex selective abortions as murder and the offence punishable under IPC Section 302 (life imprisonment)," Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Sudip Bandyopadhyay told the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.
On whether the central government will give its nod for the same, he said, "There is no such plan at present...The Centre has requested the state governments to intensify drive against female foeticide through effective implementation of the PC and PNDT Act."
Replying to a query on audit of National Rural Health Mission, Bandyopadhyay said, "Health Ministry has requested the CAG on Nov 2011 for conducting annual transaction audit of the NRHM in the states from 2011-12 to identify existing gaps and facilitate corrective measures."
In reply to a question on malnutrition among girl child, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said prevalence of "severe acute malnutrition among girls under five years of age" is 43.1 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS