Maharashtra for treating sex selective abortions as murder
New Delhi: The Maharashtra government has sent a proposal to the Centre to treat sex selective abortions as murder and make the act a punishable offence.
"A proposal has been received from Maharashtra government on August 14 to treat the act of sex selective abortions as murder and the offence punishable under IPC Section 302 (life imprisonment)," Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Sudip Bandyopadhyay told the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.
On whether the central government will give its nod for the same, he said, "There is no such plan at present...The Centre has requested the state governments to intensify drive against female foeticide through effective implementation of the PC and PNDT Act."
Replying to a query on audit of National Rural Health Mission, Bandyopadhyay said, "Health Ministry has requested the CAG on Nov 2011 for conducting annual transaction audit of the NRHM in the states from 2011-12 to identify existing gaps and facilitate corrective measures."
In reply to a question on malnutrition among girl child, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said prevalence of "severe acute malnutrition among girls under five years of age" is 43.1 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India