Maharashtra, Goa lawyers on strike
Mumbai: About 1.40 lakh lawyers in Maharashtra and Goa Wednesday joined the two-day all-India strike to protest the entry of foreign law institutes and universities and a proposed legislation that could affect the autonomy of the Bar Council of India (BCI), an official said.
Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa vice president Ashish P. Deshmukh said the response to the strike was overwhelming.
"The response is 100 percent and will remain so even tomorrow as the legal fraternity is extremely concerned about these issues," Deskhmukh told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares wide view of Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming from space!
- 1st Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- Bail plea of Amanatullah Khan, accused of threatening woman with rape and murder, to be heard today
- Bhagwant Mann FB video row: Deadline for AAP MP to depose before parliamentary panel ends today
- Donald Trump was 'being sarcastic' over Russia hacking comments