Maharashtra government bodies slammed for anti-Dalit violence
Mumbai: Criticising the Maharashtra government`s home, law and judiciary as well as rural development departments for lack of co-ordination, Maharashtra EGS minister Nitin Raut said here today that there has been an increase in atrocities against Dalits in the state.
After he toured areas affected by caste violence in Maharashtra, he wrote to the Maharashtra Chief Minister yesterday, blaming the state home department for not taking enough steps to ensure law and order as well as punish the guilty.
Raut, who hails from the Vidarbha region and happens to be the Dalit face in the Maharashtra state government, pressed for a special cabinet meeting to discuss the issue of attacks against Dalits.
"A special cabinet meeting should be convened to discuss atrocities against Dalits. The government should take strict preventive measures against such attacks," Raut told reporters.
Alleging that co-ordination between the state`s home ministry, the ministry of law and judiciary as well as rural development ministry was not seen in the matter, he said that the Maharashtra government had fallen short when it came to taking preventive measures.
Raut, who claimed that he had raised the issue during today`s cabinet meeting said, "All inclusive programmes would be designed to prevent such attacks".
He also said that Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has directed a high-powered committee to hold a meeting to discuss the issue.
The high-powered committee, which would be chaired by the Maharashtra Chief Minister himself includes the state home minister, opposition leaders and an officer of the rank of the Director General of Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad