Maharashtra government to change parole rules: RR Patil
Mumbai: Reacting to actor Sanjay Dutt parole issue, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Tuesday said the state government has realised that "some people" have been frequently obtaining parole through medical certificates.
The Maharashtra government would soon make necessary changes in parole rules for prisoners, so that nobody could take undue benefit of these provisions, Patil told reporters at the Vidhan Bhawan here today.
Though parole comes under the Maharashtra home department`s jurisdiction, the authority to grant parole to prisoners lies with the revenue commissioner, Patil said.
The revenue commissioner sanctioned the parole after examining the medical certificate, as per existing rules, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'US will continue to expand defense systems to protect South Korea, regional allies from North Korean missiles'
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell