Maharashtra government to change parole rules: RR Patil
Mumbai: Reacting to actor Sanjay Dutt parole issue, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Tuesday said the state government has realised that "some people" have been frequently obtaining parole through medical certificates.
The Maharashtra government would soon make necessary changes in parole rules for prisoners, so that nobody could take undue benefit of these provisions, Patil told reporters at the Vidhan Bhawan here today.
Though parole comes under the Maharashtra home department`s jurisdiction, the authority to grant parole to prisoners lies with the revenue commissioner, Patil said.
The revenue commissioner sanctioned the parole after examining the medical certificate, as per existing rules, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police