Maharashtra govt asks hospitals to ensure biometric ID of infants
Mumbai: In order to prevent thefts of babies from hospitals, the Maharashtra government has asked state-run medical centres to ensure biometric identification of infants within two hours of birth.
Footprints, finger prints and special birth marks, if any, and biometric identification of infants must be noted within two hours of birth or admission in a ward of the hospital, said a recently issued government resolution (GR), as per guidelines of a 2009 High Court judgement.
The hospitals, where biometric identification facility is not available, have been asked to arrange for it within six months.
No infant should be allowed to be taken outside the hospital unless discharged or without permission of the in-charge nurse and infants should not ordinarily be allowed to be taken out of neonatal, postnatal and paediatric wards.
However, if the infant is required to be taken out of the ward, the staff must verify that the person leaving the ward with the infant, wears an identification band and he/she must be accompanied by other staff of the ward, the GR says.
Hospitals have also been asked to install CCTV cameras at entry and exist routes as well as sensitive areas of the premises like neonatal, postnatal and paediatric wards.
The visiting hours must be fixed and no visitor should be allowed to enter the neonatal, postnatal wards and paediatric wards unless proper entries are made in the register about his/her name, address and other particulars regarding the purpose of the visit.
Security guards must be present 24 hours outside these wards, while female guards must be posted inside. All of them must be equipped with walky-talkies.
Photographs, addresses and other particulars of the security guards must be noted and kept in the hospitals, the GR said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM