Maharashtra govt asks medicos to end strike tomorrow
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Saturday asked the medical officers, who are on an indefinite strike, to resume duty from tomorrow morning, failing which, provisions of the Maharashtra Essential Services Maintenance Act (MESMA) will be invoked against them.
More than 5,000 medical officers, including permanent employees, temporary employees and `bonded` doctors, went on an indefinite strike from July 1 in the state, crippling health services.
Addressing a press conference here, Principal Secretary, Public Health department, Sujata Saunik said the strike was illegal and the doctors should not hold citizens to ransom.
"The government is positively considering demands of doctors. So far, 3 per cent medical officers (on strike) have resumed work,"she said.
Saunik said the government has made alternative arrangement of hiring medical officers on ad-hoc basis and advertisements have been put out in newspapers to ensure patients do not suffer due to the strike.
The medicos, staging protest under banner of Maharashtra Association of Gazetted Medical Officers, are demanding for higher pays, permanent status to Ayurveda and dental health officers and fixed duty hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Summer special: Fashion trends to watch out for
- Facebook blocks pic of plus-size model Tess Holliday, apologises later
- Brazilian research proves Aedes aegypti mosquito as source of Zika virus!
- 'Nokia could cut 10,000-15,000 jobs worldwide'
- Manipur HSLC exam result 2016: Manipur Board Class 10 result to be declared shortly, check manresult.nic.in for Manipur Class X result 2016