Maharashtra govt orders probe into attack on Salem
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Friday ordered a high-level probe into the attack on gangster Abu Salem inside Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai with the state`s Home Minister R R Patil saying officials responsible for the lapse will face action.
"An inquiry by Additional Director General of Jails has been ordered. Police and jail officials behind the lapse would face action," Patil said.
"We have taken this matter seriously. Action will be taken as soon as the inquiry report is received," he said, adding "Responsibility for the incident will be fixed and stringent action, including dismissal from service, will be taken against those found guilty."
The inquiry would also ascertain the reason behind the attack, Patil said.
Abu Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, received injury to his hand after he was shot at by Devendra Jagtap, an accused in the advocate Shahid Azmi murder case, on Thursday. Azmi represented an accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case Feheem Ansari.
Jagtap, alias JD, is a member of the Bharat Nepali gang and police has begun a probe how he got hold of the fire arm inside the jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145