Maharashtra govt orders probe into attack on Salem
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Friday ordered a high-level probe into the attack on gangster Abu Salem inside Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai with the state`s Home Minister R R Patil saying officials responsible for the lapse will face action.
"An inquiry by Additional Director General of Jails has been ordered. Police and jail officials behind the lapse would face action," Patil said.
"We have taken this matter seriously. Action will be taken as soon as the inquiry report is received," he said, adding "Responsibility for the incident will be fixed and stringent action, including dismissal from service, will be taken against those found guilty."
The inquiry would also ascertain the reason behind the attack, Patil said.
Abu Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, received injury to his hand after he was shot at by Devendra Jagtap, an accused in the advocate Shahid Azmi murder case, on Thursday. Azmi represented an accused in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case Feheem Ansari.
Jagtap, alias JD, is a member of the Bharat Nepali gang and police has begun a probe how he got hold of the fire arm inside the jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India