Maharashtra govt to seek Bharat Ratna for Sachin
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government will
convey to the Centre that master blaster Sachin Tendulkar, who
scored a landmark double ton against South Africa, be honoured
with the country`s highest civilian award Bharat Ratna.
"We will ask the central government to award Bharat
Ratna to Sachin, who has mesmerised cricket lovers the world
over," Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal said.
"Even cricketers around the globe are saying Sachin
has attained a stature higher than that of legendary Sir Don
Bradman," Bhujbal told reporters.
The state government has proposed to set up a museum
devoted to Sachin, he said. "The museum will showcase the
glorious life and career of the great batsman and will serve
as an inspiration to the young generation," Bhujbal said.
Sachin became the first cricketer to cross the 200-
figure mark in one-day internationals.
MCGM to felicitate Sachin
Tendulkar will be felicitated by the local civic body for becoming the
first player in the cricket history to score a double century
in one day internationals (ODIs).
Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) took
the decision to honour the 37-year-old legend, who was born in
the city, following a demand from corporators.
"We will try and ensure a public felicitation for
Sachin Tendulkar before the IPL season 3 kicks off (on
March 12) for his achievement," Additional Municipal
Commissioner Manisha Mhaiskar said today.
Interestingly, the civic body, in the past, had
announced that it would felicitate Tendulkar on three
occasions - for completing 20 years in international cricket,
for breaking Sunil Gavaskar`s record of runs in Tests and then
for completing 12,000 runs in ODIs but never initiated the
The latest felicitation proposal was put forward by
the Leader of the Opposition in the House Rajhans Singh.
"Sachin has made all of us proud by playing a
magnificent innings of 200 runs. He is breaking record after
record but unfortunately we are unable to felicitate him.
When are we going to felicitate the cricket icon if not now?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi