Maharashtra leaders congratulate Sachin Tendulkar for Bharat Ratna
Mumbai: Prominent leaders from Maharashtra on Saturday congratulated cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar on being chosen for the prestigious Bharat Ratna award.
In a congratulatory message, Governor K Sankaranarayanan said, "By deciding to confer India`s highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna, on the legendary cricketer, the Government of India has fulfilled the dream of countless admirers of Sachin Tendulkar and his game of cricket.
"There could not have been a more appropriate timing to declare the award than this day when his illustrious Test match career ended on a high note with the win against the West Indies," he said.
"I congratulate Shri Tendulkar for this well-deserved honour and I do hope that he will continue to provide guidance to Indian cricket and budding cricketers from the country in the years to come. I also congratulate Prof CNR Rao who too has been named for the Bharat Ratna Award," the Governor said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said youths all over would get inspiration due to the top honour bestowed on Sachin. Chavan described Sachin as the "greatest sportsperson but also a great human being".
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said, "In his 24-year career, Sachin made people forget their sorrows and created a feeling of unity among the countrymen."
Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray also congratulated Tendulkar for the honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka