Maharashtra legislators clamour for World Cup passes
Mumbai: Mumbai Cricket Association hosting the World Cup final between India and Sri Lanka here on Friday came under attack in the Maharashtra legislature today with members of ruling Congress and opposition parties like Shiv Sena-BJP criticising it for failing to arrange passes for them.
In response to a supplementary asked by Nilesh Parvekar (Congress) during a calling attention notice on the proposed sports policy, Sports Minister Padmakar Walvi told the house that land on which Wankhede stadium stands belonged to the state government which was given on a 50 year lease on
"The lease agreement did not allow for any commercial activity. If rules are not followed, notice would be issued to the concerned authorities," Walvi said adding the state government gets an annual rent of only Rs 15,000 from Wankhede.
He said he has already written to the MCA to observe protocol and invite all legislators for the match and added that he would also be talking to Chief Minister to arrange for passes for the legislators.
The discussion on match passes and Sports Minister’s response that action would be taken if Wankhede stadium was violating the rules of the lease agreement, angered Shashikant Shinde (NCP) who wondered why the Wankhede ownership issue was raised now.
"This is blackmailing. Will the government take action against all establishments constructed on leased government land," he asked.
Meanwhile, MLCs in the Legislative Council were also upset for not getting passes/tickets of the final match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Chinese woman gives birth to a baby girl from embryo frozen 18 years ago
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike