Maharashtra Legislature discusses border row with Karnataka
Mumbai: The decades-old Maharashtra-
Karnataka boundary dispute figured in the Maharashtra
Legislature, where the Assembly witnessed two adjournments,
while the Council expressed solidarity with the Marathi-
speaking people residing in the neighbouring state.
Subhash Desai (Shiv Sena) moved an adjournment notice
appealing to the Assembly to take up the issue of "atrocities"
against the Marathi-speaking people in the Belgaum-Karwar belt
A delegation from the border areas of Karnataka was on
a hunger strike at Azad Maidan here in support of their
demand, he said.
Desai said the Congress-NCP Government should act fast
to ensure inclusion of the Marathi-speaking areas of Karnataka
Noisy scenes were witnessed in the Assembly and it had
to be adjourned twice, for ten minutes each, as the Opposition
members trooped into the well of the House demanding that the
issue must be taken up for discussion immediately.
Making a statement after the House re-assembled, Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan said the boundary dispute was above
"The sentiments in Maharashtra on this issue were very
strong. I will personally meet the representatives of the
delegation sitting on a hunger strike and take up the matter
with the Prime Minister," Chavan said.
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared today on May 3 at 12 noon
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12 on May ) Result 2016 to be declared today 3 at 12 noon
- VVIP chopper cam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi reaches CBI office for questioning
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district