Maharashtra Minister justifies govt protection to Ambani
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Monday justified the Centre`s move to provide `Z` category security to industrialist Mukesh Ambani, saying it was necessary to create conducive atmosphere for attracting investments in the State.
It is important to protect businessmen in the state. Considering the seriousness of threat to the RIL Chairman, the Central Government felt it necessary to provide him security, Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil told reporters here.
Patil is also the Guardian Minister of Mumbai City district, where the business tycoon resides.
"He (Ambani) will be paying the cost incurred on his security. Providing a security cover to Ambani does not mean the Government will deny protection to others," Patil said.
"We want industrialists to remain in Maharashtra. We want to create proper environment for investment," he added.
The Union Home Ministry recently approved an armed commando squad, consisting of CRPF personnel, to provide round -the-clock protection to one of the richest man in the world following threat perception to him.
Under the `Z` category security, Ambani will have pilot and follow-on vehicles with commandos armed with high- tech weapons and they will give him proximate security every time he moves in Mumbai or any other part of country.
In February, Ambani`s office had informed the Police about threat letters being issued to the RIL chief purportedly on behalf of the home-grown terror group Indian Mujahideen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!
- This latest OK JAANU pic shows Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor are so much in love!
- Major trouble for Tanmay Bhat! Raj Thackeray-led MNS vows to thrash him for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar
- Sahara group puts out huge 4,700 acres of land for sale
- Sensex shows traction, up 117 on monsoon update, strong Q4