Maharashtra Minister justifies govt protection to Ambani
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Monday justified the Centre`s move to provide `Z` category security to industrialist Mukesh Ambani, saying it was necessary to create conducive atmosphere for attracting investments in the State.
It is important to protect businessmen in the state. Considering the seriousness of threat to the RIL Chairman, the Central Government felt it necessary to provide him security, Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil told reporters here.
Patil is also the Guardian Minister of Mumbai City district, where the business tycoon resides.
"He (Ambani) will be paying the cost incurred on his security. Providing a security cover to Ambani does not mean the Government will deny protection to others," Patil said.
"We want industrialists to remain in Maharashtra. We want to create proper environment for investment," he added.
The Union Home Ministry recently approved an armed commando squad, consisting of CRPF personnel, to provide round -the-clock protection to one of the richest man in the world following threat perception to him.
Under the `Z` category security, Ambani will have pilot and follow-on vehicles with commandos armed with high- tech weapons and they will give him proximate security every time he moves in Mumbai or any other part of country.
In February, Ambani`s office had informed the Police about threat letters being issued to the RIL chief purportedly on behalf of the home-grown terror group Indian Mujahideen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH