Maharashtra Minister justifies govt protection to Ambani
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Monday justified the Centre`s move to provide `Z` category security to industrialist Mukesh Ambani, saying it was necessary to create conducive atmosphere for attracting investments in the State.
It is important to protect businessmen in the state. Considering the seriousness of threat to the RIL Chairman, the Central Government felt it necessary to provide him security, Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil told reporters here.
Patil is also the Guardian Minister of Mumbai City district, where the business tycoon resides.
"He (Ambani) will be paying the cost incurred on his security. Providing a security cover to Ambani does not mean the Government will deny protection to others," Patil said.
"We want industrialists to remain in Maharashtra. We want to create proper environment for investment," he added.
The Union Home Ministry recently approved an armed commando squad, consisting of CRPF personnel, to provide round -the-clock protection to one of the richest man in the world following threat perception to him.
Under the `Z` category security, Ambani will have pilot and follow-on vehicles with commandos armed with high- tech weapons and they will give him proximate security every time he moves in Mumbai or any other part of country.
In February, Ambani`s office had informed the Police about threat letters being issued to the RIL chief purportedly on behalf of the home-grown terror group Indian Mujahideen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss