Maharashtra minister slams Anna Hazare for not speaking out against casteism
Mumbai: Maharashtra minister Nitin Raut on Monday accused social activist Anna Hazare for passing the buck to the government for resolving the caste tensions and not doing anything on the issue.
Addressing a press conference, Raut who visited Ahmednagar district where a Dalit boy became victim of honour killing in Kharda village of Jamkhed taluka recently, said the incident happened a few kilometres away from Hazare`s village.
"However, Hazare has not uttered a word about easing caste tensions," Raut, a Maharashtra Employment Guarantee Scheme (EGS) minister charged.
"I heard that he said that eradication of caste is the state government`s responsibility. If that is indeed the case, then even eradication of corruption is supposed to be the government`s job of the government. Why did Hazare have to agitate?" he said.
Raut said that caste tensions and honour killings were a blot on a progressive state like Maharashtra and the need of the hour was to ensure that all political and social activists join hands to find a solution to these problems.
"I will raise the matter this week in the cabinet and call for a caste free village campaign to promote social harmony," he said.
In Kharda, Nitin Aage, a 12th standard student belonging to backward caste, was allegedly brutally killed by the brother and friends of an upper caste girl recently.
In Ahmednagar district, villagers in Chincholi did not allow cremation of a woman belonging to a lower caste. Last year, three Dalit youths were killed over a love affair with an upper caste girl, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi