Maharashtra minister slams Anna Hazare for not speaking out against casteism
Mumbai: Maharashtra minister Nitin Raut on Monday accused social activist Anna Hazare for passing the buck to the government for resolving the caste tensions and not doing anything on the issue.
Addressing a press conference, Raut who visited Ahmednagar district where a Dalit boy became victim of honour killing in Kharda village of Jamkhed taluka recently, said the incident happened a few kilometres away from Hazare`s village.
"However, Hazare has not uttered a word about easing caste tensions," Raut, a Maharashtra Employment Guarantee Scheme (EGS) minister charged.
"I heard that he said that eradication of caste is the state government`s responsibility. If that is indeed the case, then even eradication of corruption is supposed to be the government`s job of the government. Why did Hazare have to agitate?" he said.
Raut said that caste tensions and honour killings were a blot on a progressive state like Maharashtra and the need of the hour was to ensure that all political and social activists join hands to find a solution to these problems.
"I will raise the matter this week in the cabinet and call for a caste free village campaign to promote social harmony," he said.
In Kharda, Nitin Aage, a 12th standard student belonging to backward caste, was allegedly brutally killed by the brother and friends of an upper caste girl recently.
In Ahmednagar district, villagers in Chincholi did not allow cremation of a woman belonging to a lower caste. Last year, three Dalit youths were killed over a love affair with an upper caste girl, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued