Maharashtra ministers to give 1-month salary for drought works
Mumbai: All ministers in Maharashtra will contribute one month`s salary towards drought relief in the State, where a dozen districts are reeling under acute water scarcity.
This was decided on Wednesday at a Cabinet meeting, which took stock of the prevailing drought, said to be the worst in decades, sources in the Chief Minister`s Office (CMO) said.
It was also decided there would be no load-shedding in the night till the SSC and HSC board examinations are over.
The exams are scheduled to be held till March-end.
Meanwhile, a Central team will visit the 12 drought-hit districts on February 27 and 28 to take stock of the situation, they said.
The Cabinet expressed concern over the acute water scarcity and resolved to provide adequate funds for fodder camps and ensuring drinking water supply to the affected areas.
It was also decided that 15 per cent of the District Planning Board funds should be reserved for permanent drought relief works, the sources said.
District Collectors have been asked to ensure there is no large-scale migration of people due to drought and locals are provided adequate job opportunities.
Nationalised banks, sugar co-operatives and industrial units have been told to provide funds from their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) pool for construction of plastic tanks to store water received from tankers, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof