Maharashtra MLAs who thrashed cop surrender before police
Mumbai: Two Maharashtra legislators, who allegedly assaulted traffic police sub-inspector Sachin Suryawanshi, in the State Assembly premises, on Thursday surrendered before police here.
"Initially, Vasai MLA Kshitij Thakur and then legislator Ram Kadam surrendered before us at the police headquarters here and their statements are being recorded," a crime branch official said.
"The formalities to arrest them are underway. After their arrest, the duo will be produced before a local court later in the day," the official said.
On March 19, an FIR was registered at Marine Drive police station against Thakur, Kadam (MNS) and 14 others for allegedly beating the 31-year-old police sub inspector with Worli Traffic Police at Vidhan Bhawan. Later, crime branch took over the investigations.
Suryawanshi had allegedly stopped the vehicle of Thakur a day before on the Bandra-Worli Sea Link when the MLA was on his way to attend the Legislative Assembly Session.
Thakur was reportedly fined because his vehicle had exceeded the speed limit. There was an altercation between the legislator and the policeman, during which the latter allegedly misbehaved with the MLA.
Following the incident, the policeman was thrashed at the entrance to the visitors’ gallery in the House, by a group of legislators including Thakur, Kadam, Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent), among others.
The accused have been booked under IPC Sections 143 (unlawful assembly), 341 (wrongful restraint), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 506 (ii) (criminal intimidation), sources said.
Suryawanshi, who is undergoing treatment at the St George hospital in South Mumbai, yesterday said in a statement that he was attacked by the legislators after he had come out of Legislative Council Deputy Chairman Vasant Davkhare`s office on the first floor and was sitting on a bench, about to leave for the canteen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes