Maharashtra mulls scheme for `minority` panchayats
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government plans to extend its infrastructure development scheme in minority dominated civic bodies to gram panchayats.
A proposal to this effect is likely to come up in the Cabinet this week.
The minority welfare department has given instructions to concerned officials to identify the villages which are minority dominated. Minorities comprise approximately 20.5 per cent of the state`s total population.
Officials said allocation of Rs 19 crore has already been made in the supplementary demands for extending the scheme to rural areas.
"There is a demand from elected representatives to increase the budget to Rs 100 crores," they said.
As per the scheme, villages with minority population upto 200 will get Rs 4 lakh annually, Rs 5 lakh for 200 to 300 population, Rs 7 lakh for 300 to 500 population and Rs 10 lakh for above 500 population.
Water supply schemes including drinking water pipelines, storm-water drainage pathways, burial grounds, community centres, libraries will be taken up.
Officials said the scheme has been successfully implemented in urban areas for the last three years.
"Rs 20 lakh for municipal corporations, Rs 15 lakh for Nagar palikas and Rs 10 lakh for Nagar Parishads are being given every year. Funds for next year are given only after utilisation of funds for infrastructure schemes to provide basic amenities,” officials said.
In 2011-12, Rs 70 crores were spent. Additional Chief Secretary (minority welfare) has been monitoring the scheme and has yielded satisfactory results, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: SC to hear plea next week on FIR against 'bribe-takers'
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU