Maharashtra mulls scheme for `minority` panchayats
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government plans to extend its infrastructure development scheme in minority dominated civic bodies to gram panchayats.
A proposal to this effect is likely to come up in the Cabinet this week.
The minority welfare department has given instructions to concerned officials to identify the villages which are minority dominated. Minorities comprise approximately 20.5 per cent of the state`s total population.
Officials said allocation of Rs 19 crore has already been made in the supplementary demands for extending the scheme to rural areas.
"There is a demand from elected representatives to increase the budget to Rs 100 crores," they said.
As per the scheme, villages with minority population upto 200 will get Rs 4 lakh annually, Rs 5 lakh for 200 to 300 population, Rs 7 lakh for 300 to 500 population and Rs 10 lakh for above 500 population.
Water supply schemes including drinking water pipelines, storm-water drainage pathways, burial grounds, community centres, libraries will be taken up.
Officials said the scheme has been successfully implemented in urban areas for the last three years.
"Rs 20 lakh for municipal corporations, Rs 15 lakh for Nagar palikas and Rs 10 lakh for Nagar Parishads are being given every year. Funds for next year are given only after utilisation of funds for infrastructure schemes to provide basic amenities,” officials said.
In 2011-12, Rs 70 crores were spent. Additional Chief Secretary (minority welfare) has been monitoring the scheme and has yielded satisfactory results, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi