Maharashtra must compete with other nations on growth front: CM
Pune: Maharashtra should raise the bar on industrial growth and compare itself with other countries instead of states like Gujarat, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Friday.
"In case of industrial growth, we should not compare Maharashtra with Gujarat or any other state in the country. Instead, we should raise the bar and compare ourselves with other countries," he said here.
Chavan was speaking at a function organised to mark the platinum jubilee year of the state legislature.
Maximum number of Special Economic Zones (SEZ) were allotted to Maharashtra. But most of them could not take off due to change in industrial policies by the Centre, he said.
Highlighting changes in the industrial scenario, Chavan said, "Previously, government played a vital role in deciding where industries should come up. But after economic liberalisation, industrialists decide where to go and set up their units. This leads to regional imbalance. We have to strike a balance between industry and growth."
Speaking on the occasion, Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar emphasised on spreading industrial activity throughout the state.
"The state should not limit industrial development in Pune, Mumbai and Nashik belts. Pune has become saturated in this regard. Farmers should not rely on agriculture only. They should develop a parallel economy," Pawar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'