Maharashtra must compete with other nations on growth front: CM
Pune: Maharashtra should raise the bar on industrial growth and compare itself with other countries instead of states like Gujarat, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Friday.
"In case of industrial growth, we should not compare Maharashtra with Gujarat or any other state in the country. Instead, we should raise the bar and compare ourselves with other countries," he said here.
Chavan was speaking at a function organised to mark the platinum jubilee year of the state legislature.
Maximum number of Special Economic Zones (SEZ) were allotted to Maharashtra. But most of them could not take off due to change in industrial policies by the Centre, he said.
Highlighting changes in the industrial scenario, Chavan said, "Previously, government played a vital role in deciding where industries should come up. But after economic liberalisation, industrialists decide where to go and set up their units. This leads to regional imbalance. We have to strike a balance between industry and growth."
Speaking on the occasion, Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar emphasised on spreading industrial activity throughout the state.
"The state should not limit industrial development in Pune, Mumbai and Nashik belts. Pune has become saturated in this regard. Farmers should not rely on agriculture only. They should develop a parallel economy," Pawar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video