Maharashtra nod for 5th Pay scale for junior college teachers
Mumbai: With teachers announcing boycott of the HSC board practical exams starting tomorrow, the state Cabinet on Wednesday approved their demand of implementing the three-tier pay scale as per the Fifth Pay Commission, from January 1996.
Members of the Maharashtra Federation of Junior College Teachers` Organisation had decided to stage a `jail bharo` protest at Azad Maidan in South Mumbai if the cabinet meeting failed to bring about a positive result.
Their demands include implementation of three-tier pay scale from January 1996 and restoration of 42 days` leave from 1999.
The cabinet decision is expected to benefit around 20,000 teachers in the state, an official said, after the cabinet meeting.
"We have been demanding for our rights for several years and this year too, we informed the state about our boycott months in advance. They had to wait till the very last day to take any decision," said Anil Deshmukh, general secretary of the organisation.
Members of the Maharashtra State Secondary and Higher Secondary School Principals` Association met state education minister Rajendra Darda yesterday to discuss their demands.
The cabinet also approved the draft of the third state women`s policy which aims at ensuring measures for women`s development.
In another decision, aimed at providing relief to anganwadi workers who took out morchas and staged protest at Azad Maidan here for their demands, the state cabinet approved payment of Rs one lakh to kin of each deceased anganwadi worker. This measure will benefit around 2.06 lakh anganwadi workers in the state, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof