Maharashtra on alert after Kasab hanging
Mumbai: Maharashtra was on high alert Wednesday after the execution of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab.
Security was also stepped up following Kasab`s burial inside the Yerawada Central Jail in Pune.
Kasab, the sole Pakistani terrorist to be caught during the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, was hanged in Pune at 7.30 am Wednesday, after his mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee earlier this month.
Kasab was buried in the jail premises, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan told journalists.
Kasab`s end came five days before the fourth anniversary of the terror attack that claimed 166 lives and injured 300 people.
Nine of his associates, who sneaked into Mumbai and carried out a three-day carnage, were secretly buried in the city in January 2010.
Kasab -- who was barely 21 in November 2008 -- was sentenced to death on four counts and to life sentence on five counts on various charges including murder, waging war on India and illegally possessing weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead