Maharashtra Police gear up to tackle possible water riots
Mumbai: Fearing possible clashes over water in drought-affected Marathwada and western Maharashtra regions, police have been asked to remain alert and step up their presence on the streets in these areas.
"The water problem is very severe in some regions of the state. Furious over the problems, people may lose temper and this may lead to clashes. So, there is a need to have a strategy in place to tackle such situations. Instructions have been issued to policemen in these regions to be alert and ensure law and order prevails," said an officer at Maharashtra police headquarters here.
Anticipating no immediate relief, some people from drought-hit rural areas have started migrating to cities like Mumbai, Pune and adjoining states in search of livelihood.
Police fear that water shortage might snowball into a law and order problem.
"Police have also been instructed that in the case of protests, they should exercise utmost restraint and resort to cane-charge only in extreme cases. If the situation spins out of control, the cops on spot should wait for orders of their seniors before taking the next step," the officer said.
Ahmednagar, Solapur, Satara, Sangli, Aurangabad, Beed, Jalna and Osmanabad are among over a dozen districts facing drought, said to be worse that the one Maharashtra saw in 1972.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday