Maharashtra polls: Cong ticket aspirants throng party office
Mumbai: Over 2,500 aspirants seeking to
contest the October 13 assembly elections on Congress tickets
from the most urban centres of Mumbai, Thane and Pune appeared
for interviews before the 24-member State Parliamentary Board
There was overwhelming response from ticket seekers from
as many as 96 assembly constituencies which includes Mumbai
(36), Thane (24), Raigad (7), Ratnagiri (5), Sindhdurg (3) and
For Mumbai, one of the prominent ticket seeker was
television actress Kunika Lall. The actress who had contested
the civic elections two years ago on NCP ticket joined the
Congress recently. She said she was interested in a Congress
ticket from Versova or Andheri west in Mumbai North West
Kunika said she was confident of getting a ticket because
she has been a social worker in the Versova-Andheri area.
"I am a prominent face and a woman. Congress wants to
encourage women in politics. But, even if I don`t get a
ticket, I will not be disappointed and work for the party,"
Yesterday, 108 assembly constituencies from Marathwada,
Western Maharashtra except Pune, Dhule and Nandurbar districts
were covered where interviews of over 1,500 aspirants were
Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, party state unit president
Manikrao Thakre, union ministers Sushil Kumar Shinde, Vilasrao
Deshmukh, Gurudas Kamat, Pratik Patil, former union ministers
A R Antulay, Shivraj Patil, Vilas Muttemwar, state ministers
Narayan Rane, Surupsing Naik and Suresh Kalmadi were among the
state parliamentary board members.
The AICC Screening Committee Chairman Chaudhary Virendra
Singh, who is the Finance Minister of Haryana is also in the
city along with AICC secretaries Mohan Prakash and Pravin
The Committee will screen the list of candidates
recommended by the state parliamentary board.
The interviews will continue tomorrow to cover Vidarbha
and Jalgaon and Nashik districts of North Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city