Maharashtra Prisons Dept wants Abu Salem to be shifted to Thane jail
Mumbai: Gangster Abu Salem will be moved to a special cell in Thane jail following an attack on him inside Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai, authorities told a court on Tuesday.
An affidavit filed by the Maharashtra Prisons Department in the court of special TADA judge G A Sanap said, "To avoid any untoward incident and to maintain security of the prison, undertrial prisoner Abu Salem has to be transferred to Thane Jail."
On June 27, Salem, currently in Taloja jail, was shot at by gangster Devendra Jagtap alias JD, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented a 26/11 Mumbai attack accused.
Salem was hit in his hand by one of the two bullets. Following the incident, Salem had filed an application before the special court saying that he should be moved to the Portugal Embassy of Goa or Delhi as he feels unsafe in any other jail.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005, after a prolonged legal battle.
In the affidavit, the jail authorities also said that Taloja jail has members of other gangs, those accused in blast cases, members of Indian Mujahidin and accused in Sohrabuddin encounter case, among other. Therefore, there would be threat to his life in Taloja jail.
The application is likely to come up of hearing next week. Meanwhile, Salem has also moved an application seeking to drop certain charges including that of criminal conspiracy against him saying that they are in violation of the extradition treaty. The application will be heard later in the week.
Earlier this month, the special TADA court allowed the CBI to drop certain charges against Salem in connection with the 1993 serial bomb blast case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional