Maharashtra Prisons Dept wants Abu Salem to be shifted to Thane jail
Mumbai: Gangster Abu Salem will be moved to a special cell in Thane jail following an attack on him inside Taloja Central Jail in Navi Mumbai, authorities told a court on Tuesday.
An affidavit filed by the Maharashtra Prisons Department in the court of special TADA judge G A Sanap said, "To avoid any untoward incident and to maintain security of the prison, undertrial prisoner Abu Salem has to be transferred to Thane Jail."
On June 27, Salem, currently in Taloja jail, was shot at by gangster Devendra Jagtap alias JD, an accused in the murder of advocate Shahid Azmi who had represented a 26/11 Mumbai attack accused.
Salem was hit in his hand by one of the two bullets. Following the incident, Salem had filed an application before the special court saying that he should be moved to the Portugal Embassy of Goa or Delhi as he feels unsafe in any other jail.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, was extradited from Portugal on November 11, 2005, after a prolonged legal battle.
In the affidavit, the jail authorities also said that Taloja jail has members of other gangs, those accused in blast cases, members of Indian Mujahidin and accused in Sohrabuddin encounter case, among other. Therefore, there would be threat to his life in Taloja jail.
The application is likely to come up of hearing next week. Meanwhile, Salem has also moved an application seeking to drop certain charges including that of criminal conspiracy against him saying that they are in violation of the extradition treaty. The application will be heard later in the week.
Earlier this month, the special TADA court allowed the CBI to drop certain charges against Salem in connection with the 1993 serial bomb blast case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon