Maharashtra: Sex ratio down to 750 in some tehsils
Beed: Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Sunday said that it was a matter of concern that the girl child ratio in 0-6 age group had fallen to 750 in some tehsils of the state.
"In Maharashtra, there are 823 girls for every 1,000 boys and in some tehsils, ratio is as low as 750," Patil said.
He was speaking after launching `Ajit Balika Suraksha Yojna` which aims at preventing female foeticide, in the Beed district which has the unfortunate distinction of having the lowest sex ratio in the state.
The campaign has been launched by MLC Vinayak Mete of NCP, and named after Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar.
NCP chief Sharad Pawar`s daughter, Supriya Sule, is scheduled to launch a separate campaign on the same issue later this month.
Expressing concern over the skewed sex ratio, Patil said the number of girls was found to be low in the affluent areas, but surprisingly there were more girls in backward areas such as Gadchiroli and Nandurbar districts, which have sizeable
"Everyone wants a mother, sister, wife but nobody wants a daughter," Patil said.
The declining number of girls in the society will lead to abundant crop of bachelors in villages, and after 10 years girl`s fathers would be seeking dowry, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29