Maharashtra sought Rs 1180 crore as flood damages, says Chavan
Nagpur: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan said that the state government has sought Rs 1180 crore as central assistance to tackle damages due to floods caused by excess rainfall and an expert team from the Centre is likely to visit the state to assess the situation.
"A National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) team will visit area which recorded excess rains, floods and damages to sowing, crops, houses, live stock and human beings to prepare an estimate of damages to be submitted to the Centre," Chavan told reporters here today.
Chavan said there are some areas for grant of central assistance which do not fit the central government`s criteria and the NDMA team would decide on it. The norms for assistance would be decided by the NDMA team, he said.
A day-long booth level agents (BLA) rally was organised for party workers of Nagpur Rural Congress Committee and particularly Ramtek Lok Sabha seat represented by All India Congress Committee general secretary Mukul Wasnik.
Responding to a question whether a possibility of communal riots exists in Maharashtra, Chavan evaded a direct reply, who he had mentioned in his speech earlier about the opposition coming to power after such riots in 1995.
Confirming the visit of Congress working president Rahul Gandhi to Maharashtra, Chavan said that he might visit one place in Western Maharashtra and another place, either in Vidarbha or Marathwada, to assess damages after floods due to excess rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez