Maharashtra: Tehsildar caught accepting Rs 5 lakh bribe
Thane: A tehsildar was arrested for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs five lakhs from a person here, the Anti Corruption Bureau said.
Karjat tehsilar Uvraj Bhanger had allegedly demanded Rs 10 lakhs from a person, Vinit Shirmade, who was involved in some excavation work, Thane Range DSP (ACB) Sandip Karnik said.
The tehsildar had served him a notice for excess excavation and not paying royalty. He demanded Rs 10 lakh to withdraw the notice, but finally settled for Rs five lakh.
When the complainant went to his residence yesterday to pay the bribe, the tehsildar was caught by ACB sleuths.
In a similar case, a talathi in Raigad, Datta Jadhav, was arrested for allegedly accepting Rs 5,000 from a complainant.
Jadhav was caught in the office of circle inspector while accepting the money from complainant Dilip More for carrying out certain modifications in a land record.
Offences under Prevention of Corruption Act have been registered against both in the respective police stations and further investigations are being carried out by Raigadh unit of ACB, Karnik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says