Maharashtra: Tehsildar caught accepting Rs 5 lakh bribe
Thane: A tehsildar was arrested for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs five lakhs from a person here, the Anti Corruption Bureau said.
Karjat tehsilar Uvraj Bhanger had allegedly demanded Rs 10 lakhs from a person, Vinit Shirmade, who was involved in some excavation work, Thane Range DSP (ACB) Sandip Karnik said.
The tehsildar had served him a notice for excess excavation and not paying royalty. He demanded Rs 10 lakh to withdraw the notice, but finally settled for Rs five lakh.
When the complainant went to his residence yesterday to pay the bribe, the tehsildar was caught by ACB sleuths.
In a similar case, a talathi in Raigad, Datta Jadhav, was arrested for allegedly accepting Rs 5,000 from a complainant.
Jadhav was caught in the office of circle inspector while accepting the money from complainant Dilip More for carrying out certain modifications in a land record.
Offences under Prevention of Corruption Act have been registered against both in the respective police stations and further investigations are being carried out by Raigadh unit of ACB, Karnik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Russia unfazed as US lifts ban on arms sales to Vietnam
- BJP, AAP spar over funding of rallies in Goa
- Srinagar encounter: Two suspected cop killers gunned down as search-op against militants continues
- Van Gaal sacked by United, Mourinho poised to step in
- Iraq justice ministry announces execution of 22 convicts