Maharashtra to introduce 50% quota for women in local bodies
Mumbai: The Maharshtra government will soon
introduce a Bill in the Assembly that will provide 50 per cent
reservation to women in local bodies, Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan said on Tuesday.
"We will introduce the Bill of giving 50 per cent
reservation to women in local government bodies in the ensuing
Budget Session of the state legislature," Chavan said while
interacting with a group of women journalists on the
International Women`s Day.
The Centre has already taken a decision to give 50 per
cent quota to women and the state government will abide by it,
On 33 per cent reservation for women in Assemblies and
the Parliament, Chavan said, "We are trying our best to pass
the Bill in the Lok Sabha. It has been already approved in
Rajya Sabha when I was the Parliamentary Affairs Minister."
Congress ally NCP had already proposed to increase the
quota for women in local bodies from 33 to 50 per cent.
In a party meeting held here last month, NCP chief and
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar asked his ministers to
meet the CM and make the demand.
Chavan who has completed four months in office said he
was settled in his new job and expressed confidence that he
would deliver with his current team of ministers.
"There is a huge difference between functioning of
national and state politics, but I am used to working
hard," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31