Maharashtra to introduce 50% quota for women in local bodies
Mumbai: The Maharshtra government will soon
introduce a Bill in the Assembly that will provide 50 per cent
reservation to women in local bodies, Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan said on Tuesday.
"We will introduce the Bill of giving 50 per cent
reservation to women in local government bodies in the ensuing
Budget Session of the state legislature," Chavan said while
interacting with a group of women journalists on the
International Women`s Day.
The Centre has already taken a decision to give 50 per
cent quota to women and the state government will abide by it,
On 33 per cent reservation for women in Assemblies and
the Parliament, Chavan said, "We are trying our best to pass
the Bill in the Lok Sabha. It has been already approved in
Rajya Sabha when I was the Parliamentary Affairs Minister."
Congress ally NCP had already proposed to increase the
quota for women in local bodies from 33 to 50 per cent.
In a party meeting held here last month, NCP chief and
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar asked his ministers to
meet the CM and make the demand.
Chavan who has completed four months in office said he
was settled in his new job and expressed confidence that he
would deliver with his current team of ministers.
"There is a huge difference between functioning of
national and state politics, but I am used to working
hard," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh