Maharashtra to seize ‘My Teacher` gutkha pouches within 8 days
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Government on Monday
said stocks of `My Teacher` gutkha would be seized within
eight days, taking cognisance of complaints received by
teachers for naming the tobacco brand after them.
"We will seize pouches of `My Teacher` gutkha and
remove ads of this brand within eight days," Minister of State
for Home Satej Patil informed the Legislative Council.
He expressed helplessness in banning the product since
it is manufactured in neighbouring Gujarat.
The Maharashtra Government has written a letter to
Health, Food and Drugs Administration Departments of Gujarat
to ban the gutkha, Patil said.
The Government has banned sale of tobacco products
with 100 metre area of schools and colleges, he said.
The Minister was replying to a query by Kapil Patil
about action against `My Teacher` gutkha.
Leader of Opposition Pandurang Phundkar claimed that
gutkha worth about Rs 10 crore is being sold everyday in the
"Gutkha is being imported from other states also and
despite the Supreme Court`s directives, the Government is not
taking any action in this regard," Phundkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH