Maharashtra told to pay Rs 6 lakh compensation for illegal detention
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed Maharashtra government to pay compensation of Rs three lakh each to a senior citizen and her son for illegally detaining them inside jail for three days, last year.
Division bench of Justices P V Hardas and Mridula Bhatkar also levied cost of Rs 15,000 on the government in the case.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Dilip Kamwani and his 78-year-old mother Mohini Kamwani seeking action against two inspectors of Vashi police, the then Deputy Commissioner of Police Purushottam Karad and the then commissioner of Navi Mumbai police Javed Ahmed.
According to the petition, Dilip and his mother were detained on January 25, 2012 by the Vashi police for threatening to commit suicide and were kept in Kalyan jail for three days.
Mohini had in 2010 lodged a complaint against her daughter and three grandsons for harassment. However, when the police refused to take cognisance of her complaint, Mohini sat on a hunger strike on January 16 last year at Azad Maidan.
"When my mother was on hunger strike a policeman advised her to send a letter to the chief justice of the high court saying she would commit suicide if the police failed to address her grievance.
"On that advise my mother wrote a letter which was later forwarded to the Navi Mumbai police. We then withdrew our statement to commit suicide and returned home," Dilip said.
However, on January 25, a team from Vashi police picked them both up from their residence and said a FIR has been lodged against them. The duo were released three days later following which they approached the high court.
The duo had sought compensation of Rs ten lakh each.
The high court after hearing the arguments today directed the government to pay compensation of Rs three lakh each to Mohini and Dilip.
The court also directed the Navi Mumbai police to look into the complaint lodged by Mohini against her daughter and grandsons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...