Maharashtra traders shut shop against new local ta
Mumbai: Over a million wholesale traders and manufacturers launched an indefinite strike here Monday opposing the Maharashtra government`s levy of local body tax in lieu of octroi, it was announced here.
The LBT, as the new tax is known, which replaced the traditional octroi in the various municipalities in the state, is an account-based cess collection for every raw material brought into the city limits by all businesses, traders and manufacturers.
The strike will see participation of around 500,000 retailers from Mumbai and Thane for Monday only, while retailers from Pune and the rest of Maharashtra will join the agitation for two days, said Federation of Retail Traders` Welfare Association president Viren Shah.
The indefinite strike call for wholesellers and manufacturers has been issued by the Confederation of All India Traders and supported by the Federation of Retail Traders` Welfare Association (FRTWA), Shah said.
"We do not want the LBT under any circumstances. We shall surrender our LBT registration by next week if the government does not withdraw it," Shah said.
A Pune traders panel has moved the Supreme Court challenging the LBT and the plea will come up for hearing May 7, Shah said.
While the new civic body tax has already been implemented in most parts of Maharashtra from April 1, it is due to be imposed in Mumbai from Oct 1.
Shah said that on account of Monday`s strike in Mumbai, retailers will incur a loss of over Rs.500 crore while the losses in other parts of the state are being calculated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in