Maharashtra traders shut shop against new local ta
Mumbai: Over a million wholesale traders and manufacturers launched an indefinite strike here Monday opposing the Maharashtra government`s levy of local body tax in lieu of octroi, it was announced here.
The LBT, as the new tax is known, which replaced the traditional octroi in the various municipalities in the state, is an account-based cess collection for every raw material brought into the city limits by all businesses, traders and manufacturers.
The strike will see participation of around 500,000 retailers from Mumbai and Thane for Monday only, while retailers from Pune and the rest of Maharashtra will join the agitation for two days, said Federation of Retail Traders` Welfare Association president Viren Shah.
The indefinite strike call for wholesellers and manufacturers has been issued by the Confederation of All India Traders and supported by the Federation of Retail Traders` Welfare Association (FRTWA), Shah said.
"We do not want the LBT under any circumstances. We shall surrender our LBT registration by next week if the government does not withdraw it," Shah said.
A Pune traders panel has moved the Supreme Court challenging the LBT and the plea will come up for hearing May 7, Shah said.
While the new civic body tax has already been implemented in most parts of Maharashtra from April 1, it is due to be imposed in Mumbai from Oct 1.
Shah said that on account of Monday`s strike in Mumbai, retailers will incur a loss of over Rs.500 crore while the losses in other parts of the state are being calculated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive