Maharashtra: Work resumes in Mantralaya today
Mumbai: Work in the fire-ravaged Mantralaya resumed on Monday with staff returning to work in the three lower floors of the state secretariat building.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, whose sixth floor office was damaged in the blaze, has shifted to the first floor office of Health Minister Suresh Shetty, while Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar began functioning from the second-floor office-room belonging to Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare.
Earlier this morning, Chavan led Mantralaya staff in mourning the loss of lives in the inferno.
A team of structural experts had inspected the three lower floors of the ground-plus-six floor building on Saturday and cleared them for normal functioning.
Several ministers and senior officials have begun operating from the Maharashtra Legislature building and from the new administrative building, opposite Mantralaya.
The PWD has requisitioned 56,000 sq ft in the GT Hospital, near Chhattrapati Shivaji Terminus, and another 30,000 sq ft from the MTNL Cooperate telephone exchange building near Mantralaya as work places for the staff.
The Mantralaya is expected to be fully functional within three months, Public Works Department Minister Chhagan Bhujbal has said.
On Thursday, a massive fire gutted large parts of the top four floors of the building. The blaze was doused after nearly 27 hours. The fire claimed five lives and left 16 injured, including several officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof