Maharashtra`s first all-women post office launched
Mumbai: The state`s first Mahila Dak Ghar, a post office entirely operated by women, was inaugurated here on Friday.
Located near the collectorate, the Old Customs House, Asiatic Library and the Reserve Bank of India in south Mumbai, the post office will be open from 10 am to 6 pm.
Twelve women employees will run the Mahila Dak Ghar, headed by a senior superintendent of posts.
It was inaugurated by P Gopinath, secretary - post and chairperson, Postal Services Board.
The Maharashtra Postal Circle has a staff strength of 26,468, of whom 5,008 are women.
"As a mark of respect to the women of Maharashtra, we decided to launch the first Mahila Dak Ghar in this circle in Mumbai," said Col KC Mishra, chief post master general, Maharashtra and Goa circle.
Earlier this year on Women`s Day March 8, Minister for Communication and Information Technology Kapil Sibal had inaugurated the first all-women post office in the country in New Delhi.
The initiative was launched by India Post Friday to mark the centenary of Mumbai GPO building, with the release of commemorative postage stamp. A philatelic exhibition was also organised as a part of the celebration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days