Maharashtra`s first all-women post office launched
Mumbai: The state`s first Mahila Dak Ghar, a post office entirely operated by women, was inaugurated here on Friday.
Located near the collectorate, the Old Customs House, Asiatic Library and the Reserve Bank of India in south Mumbai, the post office will be open from 10 am to 6 pm.
Twelve women employees will run the Mahila Dak Ghar, headed by a senior superintendent of posts.
It was inaugurated by P Gopinath, secretary - post and chairperson, Postal Services Board.
The Maharashtra Postal Circle has a staff strength of 26,468, of whom 5,008 are women.
"As a mark of respect to the women of Maharashtra, we decided to launch the first Mahila Dak Ghar in this circle in Mumbai," said Col KC Mishra, chief post master general, Maharashtra and Goa circle.
Earlier this year on Women`s Day March 8, Minister for Communication and Information Technology Kapil Sibal had inaugurated the first all-women post office in the country in New Delhi.
The initiative was launched by India Post Friday to mark the centenary of Mumbai GPO building, with the release of commemorative postage stamp. A philatelic exhibition was also organised as a part of the celebration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning