Maharashtra`s first all-women post office launched
Mumbai: The state`s first Mahila Dak Ghar, a post office entirely operated by women, was inaugurated here on Friday.
Located near the collectorate, the Old Customs House, Asiatic Library and the Reserve Bank of India in south Mumbai, the post office will be open from 10 am to 6 pm.
Twelve women employees will run the Mahila Dak Ghar, headed by a senior superintendent of posts.
It was inaugurated by P Gopinath, secretary - post and chairperson, Postal Services Board.
The Maharashtra Postal Circle has a staff strength of 26,468, of whom 5,008 are women.
"As a mark of respect to the women of Maharashtra, we decided to launch the first Mahila Dak Ghar in this circle in Mumbai," said Col KC Mishra, chief post master general, Maharashtra and Goa circle.
Earlier this year on Women`s Day March 8, Minister for Communication and Information Technology Kapil Sibal had inaugurated the first all-women post office in the country in New Delhi.
The initiative was launched by India Post Friday to mark the centenary of Mumbai GPO building, with the release of commemorative postage stamp. A philatelic exhibition was also organised as a part of the celebration.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list