Maharashtra`s first all-women post office launched
Mumbai: The state`s first Mahila Dak Ghar, a post office entirely operated by women, was inaugurated here on Friday.
Located near the collectorate, the Old Customs House, Asiatic Library and the Reserve Bank of India in south Mumbai, the post office will be open from 10 am to 6 pm.
Twelve women employees will run the Mahila Dak Ghar, headed by a senior superintendent of posts.
It was inaugurated by P Gopinath, secretary - post and chairperson, Postal Services Board.
The Maharashtra Postal Circle has a staff strength of 26,468, of whom 5,008 are women.
"As a mark of respect to the women of Maharashtra, we decided to launch the first Mahila Dak Ghar in this circle in Mumbai," said Col KC Mishra, chief post master general, Maharashtra and Goa circle.
Earlier this year on Women`s Day March 8, Minister for Communication and Information Technology Kapil Sibal had inaugurated the first all-women post office in the country in New Delhi.
The initiative was launched by India Post Friday to mark the centenary of Mumbai GPO building, with the release of commemorative postage stamp. A philatelic exhibition was also organised as a part of the celebration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!