Maharshtra to restrict sale of abortion pills
Mumbai: Concerned over "dwindling" ratio
of girl child in the state, Maharashtra government has decided
to restrict sale of abortion pills and act against sex
"We are ensuring that abortion pills should not be
sold without medical prescription. The pills would be included
in the Schedule X drugs," Health Minister Suresh Shetty said
in the Legislative Council.
Shetty said a state-level committee, headed by the
Medical Education Secretary Milind Mhaiskar, has mooted curbs
on the sale of abortion pills in the wake of "declining" girl
On efforts to prevent selective abortions and sex
determination tests, Shetty said besides sonography, there are
techniques like blood tests and biopsy to determine the sex of
the foetus. These new techniques need to be brought under the
scanner, he said.
There is also a strong opposition from women activists
to prevent abortions, he said.
"The government needs to consider various opinions
from all sections of the society before taking a decision,"
the minister said.
Terming the girl child infanticide as a social evil,
the Minister of State for Health, Fauzia Khan said a website
www.aamachimulagi.com would be launched from May 1 to register
complaints about sex determination tests.
Efforts would be made to track pregnant women with help of
of the government hospitals to know about sex determination
tests and infanticide, she said.
The issue was raised by an MLC Keshav Mankar who
wanted to know about the efforts being undertaken by the state
government to put a tab on the sex determination tests and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India