`Mahayuti` needs to pull up socks for Maha polls: Sena
Mumbai: After being checkmated by the RJD-JD(U)-Congress alliance in the Bihar bypoll, BJP ally Shiv Sena Tuesday said that the `Mahayuti` needs pull up its socks and refrain from gloating over the "Modi wave" to fight the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly elections.
"We have to accept that the RJD-JDU-Congress combine won 6 seats while the BJP could win only 4. People have shown that there is a difference between Lok Sabha and state assembly elections. This difference should be taken very seriously," the Sena said in an edit in its party mouthpiece `Saamana`."
"Seeing the by-poll results, it seems clear that the BJP-Shiv Sena led `Mahayuti` has to pull up its socks and get to work for the upcoming elections in Maharashtra," it said.
Warning against completely relying on the Modi wave, Sena said that state elections cannot be won on mere talk.
"People want a change of power in Maharashtra. But we cannot win elections by only talking about winning. (Narendra) Modi has been given a strong mandate to head the country. But the factors that come into play during state elections are different," the Sena said.
The edit added that the BJP should "learn a lesson" from the results of the by-polls and "self-introspect" on what went wrong.
Three months after its spectacular showing in Lok Sabha polls, the BJP yesterday received a jolt in the assembly bye-elections, suffering a 4-6 defeat at the hands of the RJD-JD(U)-Congress alliance in Bihar and yielding two strongholds to Congress in Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh.
In Punjab, the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal and Congress won one seat each.
Out of the 18 seats in four states for which bypolls were held on August 21, Congress and its allies won 10 while seven went to BJP and one to its ally SAD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?