Mahila Cong welcomes 50% woman quota in local bodies
Thane: Maharashtra Pradesh Mahila Congress
Committee Secretary Summan Agarwal has welcomed the decision to provide fifty percent reservation to members of the fair
sex in local bodies.
"I congratulate all women for the 50 pc reservation
passed by the Congress government for them in the local
bodies," she told reporters here.
In our society, development is decided and defined
predominantly by men. Women are marginalised in the political
system and their needs never reflect in the planning. But this
trend will change now, after women get equally involved in the
decision making process, she said.
Agarwal said, "the biggest struggle for any woman was
to find a platform to prove her merit. In that sense, this
quota ensures women her space."
Meanwhile, lashing out at the MPCC for its failure to
practice what it preaches she said, I had written a letter to
Pradesh Congress Committee bringing to their notice that the
decision making body of Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee
does not have even 10 per cent women office bearers.
“I am very positive that they will look into this matter
and raise it to at least 33 per cent," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar