Mahila Cong welcomes 50% woman quota in local bodies
Thane: Maharashtra Pradesh Mahila Congress
Committee Secretary Summan Agarwal has welcomed the decision to provide fifty percent reservation to members of the fair
sex in local bodies.
"I congratulate all women for the 50 pc reservation
passed by the Congress government for them in the local
bodies," she told reporters here.
In our society, development is decided and defined
predominantly by men. Women are marginalised in the political
system and their needs never reflect in the planning. But this
trend will change now, after women get equally involved in the
decision making process, she said.
Agarwal said, "the biggest struggle for any woman was
to find a platform to prove her merit. In that sense, this
quota ensures women her space."
Meanwhile, lashing out at the MPCC for its failure to
practice what it preaches she said, I had written a letter to
Pradesh Congress Committee bringing to their notice that the
decision making body of Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee
does not have even 10 per cent women office bearers.
“I am very positive that they will look into this matter
and raise it to at least 33 per cent," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win