Mahim building collapse: Court refuses advance bail to accused
Mumbai: The sessions court here on Thursday rejected the anticipatory bail plea of one of the accused in the Altaf Manzil building collapse case.
Ten people died in the collapse in suburban Mahim on June 10. Police have filed the case under sections 288 (negligent conduct with respect to pulling down or repair of building), 304 (culpable homicide), 336 (act endangering life/personal safety) and 338 (grievous hurt) of the Indian Penal Code.
Iqbal Ibrahim, owner of the shop and the basement on the north side who had leased the basement to co-accused Sandeep Bafna, had sought anticipatory bail saying he was not responsible for the collapse.
It is alleged that illegal alterations had caused the crash.
His application claimed he had written to Municipal Corporation (BMC) requesting it to undertake repair of the building. It also said maintenance was the landlord`s responsibility.
But the prosecution opposed the application saying the letters produced by Ibrahim had no endorsement of receipt by a government office. Public Prosecutor Jaisingh Desai said as Ibrahim had leased the property to Bafna, it was the joint responsibility of the landlord and Ibrahim.
Refusing anticipatory bail, the court noted that prima facie there was a case against Ibrahim.
The court had earlier given interim protection from arrest to Sharif Furniturewala and his brothers Mohammed and Irfan, sons of the former owner of the building, pending hearing on their advance bail pleas.
Apart from Furniturewalas and Ibrahim, the FIR names Bafna and officials of the G/North Ward and officials in BMC headquarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister