Malegaon blast: Approver moves spl court for bail
One of the accused arrested earlier in connection with the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts case on Tuesday moved a MCOCA court seeking bail.
Mumbai: One of the accused arrested
earlier in connection with the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts case
on Tuesday moved a MCOCA court seeking bail.
Abrar Ahmed, in his bail application filed before the
Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA) court,
said he was arrested by police even though he had assisted
them during the investigations.
Abrar in his application alleged that the ATS tortured
him to give confession about his involvement in the blasts.
He, however, retracted the charge.
"We chose to file a separate bail application for
Abrar as he is the only person who had turn approver in the
case," Abrar`s counsel Jaleel Ansari said.
Eight accused, who were arrested in connection with
the blasts, had moved separate bail applications on Saturday.
The next hearing on the bail will be held on October 31.
Maharashtra ATS, which initially probed the case had
arrested nine persons namely Salman Farsi, Shabir Ahmed,
Noorulhuda Doha, Rais Ahmed, Mohammed Ali, Asif Khan,
Javed Sheikh, Farooque Ansari and Abrar Ahmed for their
alleged involvement in the multiple blasts in the powerloom
town in Nashik district.
The explosions near a mosque on September 8, 2006 had
killed 36 people and injured over 100.
In December 2006, the case was handed over to CBI.
Later the NIA, a special anti-terror probe agency created in
2009, took over the investigations.
The accused`s previous bail application had been
rejected in March by the court.