Malegaon blast case: HC notice to NIA, ATS
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Thursday issued notices to Maharashtra government, National Investigation Agency (NIA) and the state Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) on a petition filed by an accused in the September 2008 Malegaon blast case alleging that ATS officers had planted evidence to implicate certain persons in the case.
A division bench of Justices P V Hardas and Mridula Bhatkar also issued notices to the Director General of Police and Commissioners of Police of Mumbai and Nashik.
Sudhakar Chaturvedi, one of the accused in the blast case, sought a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to be constituted to probe the 2008 Malegaon blast case as ATS officers like API Bagade, PI Arun Khanwilkar and Sunil Yadav had committed serious offences by falsely implicating him and other accused like Lt Col Prasad Purohit.
Subhash Jha and Sanjiv Punalekar, advocates for Chaturvedi, pointed out to the court that Chaturvedi had collected several documents through RTI which shows that Chaturvedi was "kidnapped" by API Bagade on October 23, 2008.
"Thereafter he (Chaturvedi) was flown to Bhopal in a private plane under the false identity of Sangram Singh," argued Jha.
Chaturvedi has claimed in his petition that while he was in illegal custody of ATS, API Bagade had snatched his house keys and planted particles of RDX at his rented room in Deolali to implicate Purohit. Chaturvedi claims he was working as a part of "army intelligence team" along with Purohit.
The petition also included documents pertaining to Purohit`s court martial procedure which showed that the army officer was acquitted honourably on the basis of testimony of army officials who deposed against API Bagade?s illegal activities.
The high court directed the respondents to file their replies by June 26.
A bomb exploded in the textile town of Malegaon on the night of September 29, 2008 killing six persons and injuring 100 others. Twelve persons including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur were arrested in the case and charged under MCOCA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow