Malegaon blast: HC stays granting of custody
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday stayed
the granting of custody of three key accused in the September
2008 Malegaon bomb blast case to the National Investigation
Justice BR Gavai granted stay after the three accused -
Lt Col Prasad Purohit, retired Major Ramesh Upadhyay and
Sudhakar Dwivedi alias Dayanand Pandey - approached the court
challenging the NIA custody stating their petition challenging
invocation of MCOCA was pending before the Supreme Court.
A special court had last week allowed NIA, which has
taken over the blast case from the ATS, to take custody of the
trio from July 22 for eight days, for interrogation.
"Justice Gavai has stayed the custody for two weeks
after observing that a full bench of the High Court is
deciding on another matter pertaining to the pecuniary
(monetary) benefit section of MCOCA," special NIA prosecutor
Rohini Salian said.
Lawyers for the accused told the court today that their
petition challenging the provisions of MCOCA is pending before
the Supreme Court.
The matter will be heard after two weeks.
According to the charge sheet filed by ATS, which was
handling the probe earlier, Purohit, along with 11 others, had
masterminded and carried out the blast on September 29, 2008,
in which six persons were killed in the powerloom town in
Purohit, arrested on November 5, 2008, has been
charged with being one of the main conspirators. He is also
accused of procuring the explosives used in the blast and is
alleged to be the founder of the right-wing group Abhinav
Bharat, which was formed in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price