Malegaon blast: Purohit says he is not anti-Muslim
Mumbai: Lt Col Prasad Purohit, arrested in
connection with the Malegaon bomb blasts case, on Monday told the
Bombay High Court that he is not "anti-Muslim".
"Purohit is not anti-Muslim. While serving in Army in
Jammu and Kashmir, he also defended Muslims," his lawyer
Shrikant Shivade said while arguing his bail application
before the court.
Purohit and 11 others, including Sadhvi Pragya Singh
Thakur, are accused of orchestrating the blast at Muslim-
dominated Malegaon town that killed six persons and injured
over 100 others in September 2008.
Justice R C Chavan, however, said, that the issue was not
about Hindu or Muslim.
The judge also cited the Bombay High Court`s recent
decision which held that MCOCA can be applied in offences
committed for gains other than monetary benefits.
The court will continue hearing the bail plea tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion