Malegaon probe: Azmi demands arrest of top cops
Malegaon: Samajwadi Party MLA and the
party`s state unit president, Abu Azmi, on Wednesday demanded that
three top police officials including former Maharashtra DGP, A
N Roy, should be arrested for falsely implicating seven
innocent men from Malegaon in the 2006 blast case.
Apart from Roy, Azmi sought arrest of the then
Anti-Terrorism Squad chief K P Raghuvanshi and Nashik district
superintendent of police Rajavardhan.
The seven accused were given bail recently and have
reached their hometown. The NIA, which has taken over probe of
the case, did not oppose the bail pleas, following alleged
confession by Swami Assemanand last year about involvement of
a Hindu extremist group in the blast.
Thirty-seven people had died in the blast at Malegaon in
Talking to reporters here, Azmi said these men had to
spend five years in the jail due to the faulty probe, for
which the three officers were responsible.
He also said the ruling Congress party should tender
apology for the sufferings the men had to undergo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!