Malegaon probe: Azmi demands arrest of top cops
Malegaon: Samajwadi Party MLA and the
party`s state unit president, Abu Azmi, on Wednesday demanded that
three top police officials including former Maharashtra DGP, A
N Roy, should be arrested for falsely implicating seven
innocent men from Malegaon in the 2006 blast case.
Apart from Roy, Azmi sought arrest of the then
Anti-Terrorism Squad chief K P Raghuvanshi and Nashik district
superintendent of police Rajavardhan.
The seven accused were given bail recently and have
reached their hometown. The NIA, which has taken over probe of
the case, did not oppose the bail pleas, following alleged
confession by Swami Assemanand last year about involvement of
a Hindu extremist group in the blast.
Thirty-seven people had died in the blast at Malegaon in
Talking to reporters here, Azmi said these men had to
spend five years in the jail due to the faulty probe, for
which the three officers were responsible.
He also said the ruling Congress party should tender
apology for the sufferings the men had to undergo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible