Malegaon probe: Azmi demands arrest of top cops
Malegaon: Samajwadi Party MLA and the
party`s state unit president, Abu Azmi, on Wednesday demanded that
three top police officials including former Maharashtra DGP, A
N Roy, should be arrested for falsely implicating seven
innocent men from Malegaon in the 2006 blast case.
Apart from Roy, Azmi sought arrest of the then
Anti-Terrorism Squad chief K P Raghuvanshi and Nashik district
superintendent of police Rajavardhan.
The seven accused were given bail recently and have
reached their hometown. The NIA, which has taken over probe of
the case, did not oppose the bail pleas, following alleged
confession by Swami Assemanand last year about involvement of
a Hindu extremist group in the blast.
Thirty-seven people had died in the blast at Malegaon in
Talking to reporters here, Azmi said these men had to
spend five years in the jail due to the faulty probe, for
which the three officers were responsible.
He also said the ruling Congress party should tender
apology for the sufferings the men had to undergo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH