Man accused of cheating bank acquitted after 20 yrs
Nagpur: After two decades of legal process, a CBI special court here has acquitted a former bank employee of charges of cheating.
On June 30, 1992, an FIR was registered against Chandrapur resident Arunkumar Balaji Mohitkar (now 69), who was then working as an officer in-charge of administration and service department in Bank of India`s (BoI) Ranapratap Nagar branch, for allegedly cheating the bank of Rs 4,275.
He was alleged to have conspired with another accused Anand Pawagi, working as a sales representative at Remington Rand of India Ltd. The duo was accused of establishing a partnership firm, Usha Agencies, and falsely showing it as an authorised dealer of Remington.
It was alleged that Mohitkar, while misusing his position, placed order for some cabinets, furniture and other articles with Usha Agencies, for the bank during 1984-86, which ultimately caused bank a loss of Rs 4,275.
CBI found that Usha Agencies was not an authorised dealer of Remington. A complaint was lodged against Mohitkar under sections 420 (cheating) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC and under Prevention of Corruption Act, 1947.
During trials, Mohitkar`s counsel contended that orders for supply of items were given by higher authorities and the firm Usha Agencies belonged to Mohitkar`s father and he had no involvement in it.
In its order pronounced last week, the court of special judge VK Murkute observed that CBI had failed to prove that Mohitkar was pioneer of registration of Usha Agencies and that he had placed the orders for cabinets, furniture and other items for the bank.
The court stated that prosecution failed to prove that the accused had got wrongful pecuniary gains through these dealings and therefore absolved him of all charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Did you know? India's first bullet train will run under water
- Selfie time! Alia Bhatt freezes frame with Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Shinde's team – Pic inside
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders