Man accused of cheating bank acquitted after 20 yrs
Nagpur: After two decades of legal process, a CBI special court here has acquitted a former bank employee of charges of cheating.
On June 30, 1992, an FIR was registered against Chandrapur resident Arunkumar Balaji Mohitkar (now 69), who was then working as an officer in-charge of administration and service department in Bank of India`s (BoI) Ranapratap Nagar branch, for allegedly cheating the bank of Rs 4,275.
He was alleged to have conspired with another accused Anand Pawagi, working as a sales representative at Remington Rand of India Ltd. The duo was accused of establishing a partnership firm, Usha Agencies, and falsely showing it as an authorised dealer of Remington.
It was alleged that Mohitkar, while misusing his position, placed order for some cabinets, furniture and other articles with Usha Agencies, for the bank during 1984-86, which ultimately caused bank a loss of Rs 4,275.
CBI found that Usha Agencies was not an authorised dealer of Remington. A complaint was lodged against Mohitkar under sections 420 (cheating) and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of IPC and under Prevention of Corruption Act, 1947.
During trials, Mohitkar`s counsel contended that orders for supply of items were given by higher authorities and the firm Usha Agencies belonged to Mohitkar`s father and he had no involvement in it.
In its order pronounced last week, the court of special judge VK Murkute observed that CBI had failed to prove that Mohitkar was pioneer of registration of Usha Agencies and that he had placed the orders for cabinets, furniture and other items for the bank.
The court stated that prosecution failed to prove that the accused had got wrongful pecuniary gains through these dealings and therefore absolved him of all charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi