Man arrested for allegedly raping minor girl in Thane
Thane: A 45-year-old man from Mumbai has been arrested by the Thane district rural police late Monday evening for allegedly raping a minor girl from Vasai, the police said on Tuesday.
Police sub-inspector Kaviatri Gavit of the Vasai police station told a news agency that the accused Umesh B Mandal had come down to Moregaon in Vasai to meet his relative last afternoon and spotted the 13-year-old minor girl while she was disposing off garbage.
He forcibly dragged her to an isolated location where a newly-constructed empty building stood and allegedly raped her in a room at 3.30 pm noon, the police said.
However, the girl managed to remove the hand that he had forcibly held over her mouth and raised an alarm, which was heard by a tailor who rushed to her rescue and nabbed the rapist.
The police have charged him under Sections 376 and 504 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"