Man arrested for allegedly raping minor girl in Thane
Thane: A 45-year-old man from Mumbai has been arrested by the Thane district rural police late Monday evening for allegedly raping a minor girl from Vasai, the police said on Tuesday.
Police sub-inspector Kaviatri Gavit of the Vasai police station told a news agency that the accused Umesh B Mandal had come down to Moregaon in Vasai to meet his relative last afternoon and spotted the 13-year-old minor girl while she was disposing off garbage.
He forcibly dragged her to an isolated location where a newly-constructed empty building stood and allegedly raped her in a room at 3.30 pm noon, the police said.
However, the girl managed to remove the hand that he had forcibly held over her mouth and raised an alarm, which was heard by a tailor who rushed to her rescue and nabbed the rapist.
The police have charged him under Sections 376 and 504 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill