Man arrested for rape, murder of 45-yr-old woman in Thane
Thane: A man was arrested for allegedly raping and murdering a 45-year-old woman at a village here, police said on Sunday.
The victim, who lived with her husband in Modgaon village at Kasa in Thane, had gone to stay at her mother`s place in the same village.
On Friday, the accused, Nilesh H Gavit (36), took the woman to his house, offered her liquor and then allegedly raped her when she was inebriated, assistant police inspector BT Chowdhari said.
Later, in order to destroy evidence, he strangulated her to death with her saree, police said
Following a complaint filed by the victim`s mother, police arrested Gavit last night.
The accused has been charged under sections 376 (rape) and 302 (murder) of IPC, police said adding that further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened