Man arrested for torturing wife thrashed by women in court
Thane: Police have arrested a 32-year-old man for brutally torturing his wife and he was thrashed by a group of women when he was produced in a court for remand.
Rupesh Jayram Tandel, a resident of Kalwa town, was arrested last night on the basis of a complaint lodged by his wife Bhanumati (29), Sub-Inspector PT Kale of the Kalwa police station said.
Tandel and Bhanumati got married four years ago and have a three-year-old son. All was well in the initial stages, but later on the couple quarrelled over petty issues and the husband used to often beat his wife mercilessly, police said.
A few days ago, Tandel bit his wife in 56 places on her body, put chilli power in her private parts and attacked her with an iron rod, they said, adding the woman is currently undergoing treatment in a civic hospital here.
Tandel was booked under IPC Sections 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means) and 351 (assault).
Today he was produced in the District Court, where a mob of around 50 irate women bashed him up. The incident took place in the court premises when Tandel was being taken to the Magistrate`s chamber, police sources and eyewitnesses said.
The police team escorting the accused intervened and took him away. The Investigating Officer of the case, who was accompanying Tandel, was also manhandled by the mob, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch