Man arrested for torturing wife thrashed by women in court
Thane: Police have arrested a 32-year-old man for brutally torturing his wife and he was thrashed by a group of women when he was produced in a court for remand.
Rupesh Jayram Tandel, a resident of Kalwa town, was arrested last night on the basis of a complaint lodged by his wife Bhanumati (29), Sub-Inspector PT Kale of the Kalwa police station said.
Tandel and Bhanumati got married four years ago and have a three-year-old son. All was well in the initial stages, but later on the couple quarrelled over petty issues and the husband used to often beat his wife mercilessly, police said.
A few days ago, Tandel bit his wife in 56 places on her body, put chilli power in her private parts and attacked her with an iron rod, they said, adding the woman is currently undergoing treatment in a civic hospital here.
Tandel was booked under IPC Sections 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means) and 351 (assault).
Today he was produced in the District Court, where a mob of around 50 irate women bashed him up. The incident took place in the court premises when Tandel was being taken to the Magistrate`s chamber, police sources and eyewitnesses said.
The police team escorting the accused intervened and took him away. The Investigating Officer of the case, who was accompanying Tandel, was also manhandled by the mob, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened