Man fights legal battle against fine for kiss, wins
Mumbai: A year after Mumbai police fined a man for a peck on a girl`s cheek while seeing her off, a court here has acquitted him for lack of evidence.
Kuber Sarup (26) won the court battle on April 1, of all days.
The incident took place in February last year.
"I dropped her at Carter road in Bandra and got her an autorickshaw and before leaving, I kissed her," said Sarup, who runs a production house.
Though the girl did not mind, the police did, and he was charged under section 110 of Bombay Police Act, for "indecent behaviour in public".
"A policeman caught me and fined me Rs 1,200 and gave me a long lecture on morality and how I should not behave in public."
Next day, as per the procedure, he appeared in the court and pleaded not guilty.
"Three witnesses were examined to prove that I inappropriately touched the girl and kissed her. However, the police could not prove the case," said Sarup.
On April 1 he won the case. The fine amount was refunded.
"This is a stupid case to waste the court`s time on. Court`s time was wasted for nothing," he told PTI.
He is now planning to file a PIL in the Bombay High Court so that in future nobody is harassed in this way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details